Rainbow Pinwheel Sugar Cookies



Seriously, this is the best sugar cookie recipe I have ever used and I refuse to try any other. It's easy and calls for little ingredients. The only time consuming part about this recipe is the separating of the dough. It takes time and you will see why.

Ingredients for Sugar Cookies:

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

In an electric mixer cream butter and add sugar and salt. Add vanilla and egg. Add flour and mix. Dough will be sticky-ish. Like a stiff, yet sticky play-dough. Gather dough and pat smooth.

Now separate the dough in 5 balls evenly. Color each dough ball a different color. I only use Neon food coloring these days. I don't know how I ever got along without it.


After each is colored your next step is to make grape sized balls out of each color.


Then once all your dough is made into little balls you take each color and roll it into one big ball like this....


Then you roll out your little beach ball on a flat surface until its long and skinny and start coiling it like this...


This is how they should look.


Final step is to dip the ends in candy sprinkles and place on a cookie sheet with parchment paper.


Set oven to 325(f) and bake for 13 minutes.



They are gorgeous! They took a long time to make because of all the dough separating, but the results are well worth the time!



11 comments:

Margarita Bloom said...

Oh, man!!! I so want to try these!! Neon sugar bliss. Drool...

Decayla said...

Oh yes! I never use any other dye than neon these days <3

Unknown said...

making these tonight!! love the colors!

Decayla said...

@Miranda I hope they came out well!!!! Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Hello! I was wondering approx. how many cookies you are able to get out of one batch and about how large are they? Thank you so much! They look bright and beautiful! I'm going to make them for my little ones birthday. :o)

Decayla said...

@anonymous Thank you!!! That makes me happy that you are going to make these!!! I can't remember how many the batch makes. I know for sure it makes either 2 dozen or 1 1/2 dozen. I made these medium small. Please let me know how these turn out for you. I would love to see a pic of them when you are finished. My email is decaylavoncorpse@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Can I make this dough, roll out into the pinwheels, and then freeze them to bake the next day or so? If so, can I freeze them with the sprinkles along the edge or should I wait just prior to baking them for that? How long should they thaw before baking? I'm new at this, but am attempting these for my daughter's rainbow birthday party. They look gorgeous and delish!!

Decayla said...

@anonymus

I have never froze them over night before. I always bake mine right away to maintain freshness. Not sure how the lo temperature overnight may effect the dough. The refrigerator may be a better bet instead of the freezer.

Anonymous said...

The cupcake pattern underneath the cookies....love! What is it??

Decayla said...

Its a placemat. Target had these a few years ago for Valentines Day. They are pretty big so I use them to roll out my cookies :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm jealous:)
I have a bit of a cupcake collection for my kitchen lol.